EMAIL THE FRIENDS
Library-phone Call : 830-685-3321

Cherry Mountain School

School Club Activities

Today, the buildings are owned by the Cherry Mountain Community Club and are used for meetings, weddings, reunions, and special parties.

Rental Contact

To schedule your special group tour or event, call Donnie Schuch, 830-669-2855.

Driving Directions:

#16 on the driving map (Route A) located on 2866 Cherry Mountain Loop.

photo of Cherry Mountain School

A brief history of Cherry Mountain School

Built in 1926. Consolidated in 1949. Discipline was strict in the family homes and at school. There was a threat of the "switch" or paddle, but few children suffered this. Most common was that the "mischief" maker had to stay in the classroom during recess. Sometimes a pupil would have to stand facing the blackboard with their nose "stuck" in a chalk-drawn ring. Standing in the corner or by the teacher's desk was also common.

History of Cherry Mountain School

In 1883, 10 students enrolled for classes in their new school at Cherry Mountain, northwest of Fredericksburg, on land donated by Carl Durst. The first school building was a log cabin type to which a room constructed of limestone was later added. Teachers lived on the property in the loft or with close neighbors.

photo collage of Cherry Mountain SchoolWhen the school first started, drinking water was obtained from the William Thiele residence located about 250 yards from the school. Later, a well was drilled on the school property. At first, children drank water from a bucket using a single dipper. Later, students brought their own collapsible cups that were kept in their desks.

A second school was built in 1926. Otto Thiele donated approximately 1½ acres for this new school. Ed Roos did the masonry work, Fritz Rummler was the carpenter, and Otto Kentron and Otto Schuch were helpers. J. F. Oehler was the first teacher at the new school. Enrollment in the first year was 39 students, with 36 in attendance the second year. The first school started with five grades, with two more added later, followed by an eighth. In 1927-28, a ninth grade was also taught. Night school for eighth and ninth grades was added in 1931-33. Reinhold Weber was the teacher at the time. The school consolidated with Fredericksburg ISD in 1949.

image of news article featuring Cherry Mountain school

Photo Gallery

Click on an image below for a larger version.

photo #1 Cherry Mountain School
photo #2 Cherry Mountain School
photo #3 Cherry Mountain School
Library-website name
The Friends of Gillespie County Country Schools

Copyright 2016. The Friends of Gillespie County Country Schools. All Rights Reserved.

Design by Website Solutions Company.