EMAIL THE FRIENDS
Library-phone Call : 830-685-3321

Pecan Creek School

Next event

Open House
September 9, 2017
Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.

All personal visits or tours are scheduled by appointment only by calling the rental contact person below or by completing our Contact Us form and selecting the school(s) you would like to visit, along with the date and details.

School Club Activities

The Pecan Creek Community Club meets monthly on the second Sunday afternoon to play cards and dominoes with refreshments being served after a short meeting. An annual picnic or fish fry is also held each summer on the school grounds.

Rental Contact

To schedule your special group tour or event, call Helen Feller, 830-669-2546.

Driving Directions:

#15 on the driving map (Route A) located at 3410 Pecan Creek Road.

GPS: 30.389017,-99.015999

photo of Pecan Creek School

A brief history of Pecan Creek School

Built in 1916. Consolidated in 1955. Wooden school desks were either double or single with a shelf underneath for items such as cups, pens, and books. Seating was arranged by grade. Several schools still have the original maps, world globes, bookcases, science cases, and the teacher's desk. One of the most important features was the "recitation bench" close to the teacher's desk. Here a particular grade sat for their lesson or recitation.

School Club Officers

President:
Daniel Crenwelge
830-669-2473

Vice-President:
Harriet Crenwelge
830-990-7598

Secretary:
Helen Feller
830-669-2546

Treasurer:
Margaret Priess
830-997-8267

Representative:
Helen Feller
830-669-2546

History of Pecan Creek School

In 1899, the Bernhard Friedrich house, which was bought for $250, became the first school. This first school was private. The Pecan Creek School #29 is located on a three-acre plot in the north central part of Gillespie County. In 1916, land was donated by school patrons. Other patrons donated materials and labor. The original house was moved in parts and rebuilt. The original building is one big room with windows on the south side, and the entrance, with an enclosed cloakroom, is on the east side. The building is constructed of wood, with siding having been added later. The floors are pine and the ceiling is of beaded board. In 1936, an open shed was attached to the school building. At that time, a stage and dance floor was included which was later improved. Today, there is a permanent 15'x20' stage with a walkway around the back wall.

The stage curtain, still in place, displays many early-day Gillespie County merchant advertisements. Blackboards cover part of the west and north sides of the room, and a wood burning stove stands near the back east side. There is a bookcase on the east wall. Also still standing about 30 yards west of the school is an outdoor toilet for girls, with the boys outhouse 60 yards to the south. A rainwater cistern for drinking water, which is no longer in use, was added in 1934 on the north side. Double desks, purchased in 1935, are still in the classroom, as well as a world globe purchased in 1936, and a dust-proof map case containing nine maps purchased for $43.62 in 1938. In 1988, 105 years after the beginning of school in the Pecan Creek area, a reunion was held. Six former teachers and 83 former students attended. Mrs. Albert Menske (Hilda Crenwelge), a former student, was the oldest at 94 years old.

Library-website name
The Friends of Gillespie County Country Schools

Copyright 2016. The Friends of Gillespie County Country Schools. All Rights Reserved.

Design by Website Solutions Company.